These days, we have lots of ways to exchange information and send files to each other. We send photos over messengers, social media, email, cloud services and more. And it’s rarely a problem. Unless, that is, you need to send a really large file.
If you are a professional working with video content, for example, finding a way to transfer a video file or folder is not that easy. This is mainly because you will be looking at strict size limits or the files you send.
Fortunately, this problem has also received some attention in recent years. And now, we can also send sizeable files over the web — provided we use the right tools. So, how to send long videos and other large files in 2022?
How to send large video files online in 2022?
As we’ve mentioned above, there are lots of ways to send files online. You can send files over email, messenger, social media and lots more. However, when it comes to sending really large files, you pretty much have two options: using a cloud storage service or a file transfer service. Below, we will look into both of these options in more detail.
What is cloud storage?
Cloud storage is a service model where data is stored on remote storage systems. There, it is maintained, managed, backed up and, when needed, made available to users over the internet.
To store large amounts of data on the cloud, you will typically need to subscribe to a storage plan.
Cloud storage works thanks to a virtualized storage infrastructure that includes accessible interfaces, near-instant scalability and multi-tenancy. Storage services are generally provided on demand — and you can increase the amount of space you need by simply upgrading your subscription.
Storing files on the cloud is convenient. Among other things, it helps you offload your device of hearty files that could be slowing down your system.
With that, cloud storage services also have several disadvantages
First, in most cases, to access your files you will need internet access. While it shouldn’t be an issue in most situations, sometimes, in case of connection problems, you may be unable to get to the files you need.
Second, some people may be uncomfortable with having their photos and videos stored on the cloud. While the risk of a breach is very low, these still do happen, which may make some users uneasy. So, if you are a photographer or videographer and your client doesn’t want their photos or videos stored on the cloud, you will need to look for another way.
Third, cloud storage service will ask you for a subscription fee. This means you will need to commit to regular payments, regardless of how much of the service you are actually using.
What is a file transfer?
A file transfer is a way to exchange data files between computer systems. These date files may be structured or unstructured and may include
documents, multimedia, graphics, text, PDFs and more.
A file transfer usually occurs via a communications protocol. A communications protocol is a set of rules that determines how information is transferred. Some of the standard file transfer protocols used today are FTP, TCP, HTTP and others.
There are a number of services that let you transfer large files online. So, how do you pick the right one? Here are some key file transfer capabilities to look for:
- Your transfers should be quick and efficient. Make sure that service you’ve chosen doesn’t take too long to transfer a large file. It’s also better if the recipient of the file doesn’t have to wait for the upload to complete on your side before they can start downloading the file. With some file transfer services, uploads and downloads happen at the same time.
- File transfers must be safe. Check what kind of encryption the file transfer service is using. Currently zero-knowledge encryption is the most secure encryption format. When a file transfer service uses zero-knowledge encryption, it means that your passwords and other sensitive data are never stored on the service’s servers. This means that no one but you will ever be able to access your data.
- Protections against force majeure. Things happen. If there is a connection issue during your large file transfer, you probably won’t want to start from scratch. Some file transfer services will ensure that you won’t have to do this and will keep your transfer protected in case of unforeseen interruptions.
- Reasonable payment structure. Make sure the file transfer service you are considering offers a straightforward payment structure. For instance, it’s always better if you can simply pay for the file you want to transfer (based on its size), no strings attached. Subscription plans might also make sense if you plan to send over large files on a regular basis. However, it’s always best if you have as much payment flexibility as possible.
Cloud storage or file transfer?
So, what is the best option for sending a large file online? Naturally, this depends on your specific situation and needs. Overall, however, we would say that using a file transfer service would probably be a better fit for most. There are two main reasons for this:
- First, a file transfer service is more secure.
- Second, a file transfer service typically offers more flexible payment options and you won’t have to commit to a long-term subscription.
So, there you have it. Sending large files online via a file transfer service is probably a simpler and, often, more efficient and secure way to get your data across. This is especially true of sensitive information and personal photos and videos.