You know that you need a new roof, but you do not know where to look. Having your roof replaced is an important decision, and you have to approach the whole process cautiously. Make sure to find a roofer who makes sure that your new roof is strong, durable, and properly installed. The process should be hassle-free and smooth. Here are some suggestions for selecting the right roofing contractor.
Do your research
Proper research is your first step to hiring a new roofing contractor. Pay attention to the following things.
- Start by getting local referrals.Not only do local roofing companies know the rules and regulations in your area, but by dealing locally, you also reduce the chances of scams or other issues.
- Find out the number of years the contractor has been in business. No one wants a substandard roof as it spells disaster to your home and peace of mind. Therefore employ an experienced contractor. The general rule of thumb is to look for contractors with more than three years of experience.
- Look at the Better Business Bureau ratings. These days it is easy to check a company’s reputation online. Just look for local Better Business Bureau ratings of a potential roofing contractor.
Approach the contractor
After the research is over, approach the short-listed contractors. Here are the things you need to know from them.
- Ask them about their past work. By asking roof contractors about their past work, you will know their work ethics, quality of work, and cost estimations as well. Ask them for more than six contacts, and call them.
- Find out if they are an authorized installer for the shingle manufacturer.This is important because manufacturers will not honor their warranties if a non-authorized installer installs the roof.
- Know who installs the roof.Some roof contractors outsource their job, which may invalidate the manufacturer’s warranty. Also, these sub-contractors may not even be qualified.
- Check their licensing and insurance. Adding a new roof is a little risky. So ask your roofing contractor to show you the insurances of all of their workers.
- Ask them about warranties on their work. Warranties are important because if something on your new roof is not installed properly, then the problems might not be visible instantly. So, look for roofing companies that provide long-term warranties.
- Find out your material options.It is always in your interest to have more shingle choices in terms of style, color, and material. Avoid contractors who do not give you these choices.
- Know what happens to your old roof. Some contractors install new shingles over an old roof instead of tearing them down. This is not a good idea as it adds load to your house, and there may be damages concealed by old shingles.
- Find out what happens in the case of unplanned repairs.Your roof may be concealing more problems than those apparent, so ask your roofing contractor, how will they handle these situations.
- Ask for estimates.If you are happy with all the answers that you get from the roofing contractors, ask for their estimates. Try to get at least 3 estimates from 3 different contractors.
- Choose the best quote.By now, you should have at least three estimates on your hand. Pick the right one for you.
- Financial Agreement.Before starting the work, make sure to put all financial agreements in writing.